Mango (aam) is one of the most loved fruits across age groups.
The mango season is here in full bloom and we can’t stop gorging on the luscious yellow delight in the hot summer afternoons! The king of fruits is inarguably one of the most-loved fruits across age groups. With a number of varieties to offer like Alphonso, Chaunsa, Dashehari, Langra, Kesar, Totapuri etc., no wonder India leads the production of mangoes in the world! The sheer joy of slicing and biting into the sweet and juicy fruit with a subtle tang is simply unmatched. Speaking of which, the variety of delicacies that this versatile fruit can prepare is also no less!
If you are looking to prepare a variety of desi desserts with mangoes, then you are at the right place. Here we have some of the best desi mango (aam) desserts that you can try at home as well.
8 Desi Mango Desserts To Try At Home:
1. Mango Kalakand
A simple sweetmeat that is said to have originated in Alwar, Rajasthan, kalakand has become immensely popular across India for a melt-in-mouth texture due to the combination of paneer and milk. This kalakand recipe with mango has chopped Alphonsos, mixed with milk, homemade chenna and saffron. Combined together and spread on a tray, topped with pistas to set, mango kalakand is served with a luscious mango cream on top! Find the recipe here.
(Also Read: 11 Best Indian Mango Recipes To Try At Home)
2. Mango Amrakhand
Shrikhand (or amrakhand) is a famous north Indian traditional dish made with yogurt or hung curd, and flavoured with herbs and spices like saffron or cardamom. This decadent, quick and easy recipe brings together the goodness of mango and yogurt that offers a delightful and nutritious dessert. Find the recipe here.
3. Mango Kulfi
Can there be a better summer treat than the combination of chilled kulfi and delicious mangoes? A smooth blend of mangoes, cardamom, sugar, milk and cream mixed with vanilla ice cream, set overnight topped with pistachios result in an exceptionally decadent mango kulfi that one cannot resist! Find the recipe here.
(Also Read: 6 Best Kulfi Recipes)
4. Mango And Mint Kheer
Mango and mint kheer is a delightful mix of rice, milk, mango, dry fruits, nuts and a bunch of mint leaves that gives a refreshing flavour to the classic Indian kheer. Find the recipe here.
5. Aam Doi
A stellar Bengali dish to pair with your summer meals! Simple, fuss-free and quick recipe, aam doi is one of the simplest sweet treat you can prepare to satiate those cravings. Here is how-
Hung Curd- 500 ml
Mango- 1/2 (pureed)
Condensed milk- 1/4 cup
Cardamom powder- 1/2 tsp
Nuts- as per choice
1. Add mango puree, milk and cardamom to the hung curd.
2. Whisk well until no lumps are there.
3. Pour them into bowls. You can garnish them with nuts or leave.
4. Let them set for about 30 minutes before serving.
6. Mango Rabri
A creamy concoction of thickened milk, sugar and nuts with deep layers of creamy malai in it, rabri is truly a dessert lover’s paradise. Here’s how you can make a llovely mango rabri at home.
Milk – 3 cups
Sugar – 1 1/2 tbsp
1 Mango (pureed)
Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
Saffron milk – 1 1/2 tbsp
Pistachios – 3-4 (finely chopped)
Almonds 3-4, chopped
1. Boil milk and reduce the flame to allow it to simmer.
2. Keep stirring at regular intervals and scrape the layers of malai on the side. Continue to do this till the milk is reduced to less than half of the original quantity. Mix the scraped malai with thickened milk.
3. When the milk has reduced to a thick mass, add sugar. Allow the sugar to dissolve and continue to simmer the mixture till it reaches a third of the original quantity.
4. Add cardamom, nuts and saffron milk, and mix well. Turn off heat and allow it to cool till room temperature.
5. Now, add the mango puree and mix well.
6. Let it chill for a couple of hours. Garnish with the rest of chopped nuts and chopped mango.
7. Mango Phirni
Creamy, rich, and full of textures, phirni is a mass favourite and the best part is that it is super easy and quick to make at home while you can even experiment with the flavours. Here’s a decadent mango phirni you can try at home!
(Also Read: 5 Easy Phirni Recipes You Can Try At Home)
1/2 cup rice
1 large mango (pureed)
2 cups milk
1 tsp cardamom powder
2 tablespoon sugar
3 tsp pistachios and almonds (blanched and chopped) and additional 2 tsp to garnish
1/2 tsp rose water
1. Soak the rice for about 30 minutes. Post that, blend the rice into a paste and keep aside.
2. Now, in a large wok boil milk and stir well on low flame till simmer and it thickens.
3. Add the prepared rice paste to it now. Make sure to stir it well so lumps are not formed.
4. Get the milk to boil so the rice is cooked completely.
5. Now, add sugar and saffron to it milk. Mix well till the milk is of creamy consistency.
6.Add cardamom powder and let it cool completely.
7. Now add the mango pulp and mix well. Serve chilled topped with few chopped nuts.
8. Mango Halwa
Your classic halwa recipe made with the yummy addition of pulpy mangoes! Find the recipe below:
1 medium mango of your choice, chopped and pureed
1/4 cup sugar or as required
1 tablespoon ghee
1/2 cup sooji
200 ml milk
1/2 cup water (hot)
Cashews, raisins, chironji- as required
1/2 a pinch of saffron
2-3 cardamoms (powdered)
1. Heat the ghee in a thick bottomed pan. Add sooji and saute till it leaves aroma.
2. Add the chopped dry fruits and continue to saute for a while.
3. Now, add the water to the mix and stir well.
4. Add milk and sugar. Continue to stir well so that it does not stick to the pan. Now, add the mango puree and stir continuously.
5. Add cardamom powder along with saffron and stir again. Let it cook ffor about five minutes.
6.Serve warm topped with chopped dry fruits.
Try these decadent desi mango desserts at home and let us know how you liked them in the comments section below.
About Aanchal MathurAanchal doesn’t share food. A cake in her vicinity is sure to disappear in a record time of 10 seconds. Besides lo
ading up on sugar, she loves bingeing on FRIENDS with a plate of momos. Most likely to find her soulmate on a food app.