Potato is one of the most versatile vegetables. It can be recreated and rehashed into a number of recipes and with a variety of cooking methods. Whether it is baked, braised, fried or sautéed – potatoes taste delicious in every possible way. The root vegetable’s smaller version, that is, the baby potato has been incorporated into a delicious Kashmiri recipe. The Kashmiri-style Dum Aloo can be easily made at home with spices and ingredients that are readily available in the Indian kitchen.
Fried baby potatoes curried in a spicy tomato gravy is what the Kashmiri-style Dum Aloo recipe is all about. Another unique aspect about the Kashmiri-Style Dum Aloo recipe is that it is cooked without the use of onion, tomato or garlic in it. The style of cooking is quite different than how most gravy dishes in North India. Further, the amount of gravy in the dish is practically next to zero. The real flavour of the dish comes from spices such as ginger powder and fennel seeds. Mustard oil is used in the Kashmiri-Style Dum Aloo to lend an interesting flavour to the preparation. What’s more, the recipe also uses the special Kashmiri red chilli instead of the regular chilli powder for an authentic zing of the Indian state.
(Also Read: This Safed Aloo (White Potatoes) Sabzi Can Be Made In Minutes)
So if you’re looking for an interesting and unique Kashmiri recipe to make at home, the Kashmiri-Style Dum Aloo is perfect for you! The spicy and tangy taste compliments the crispy fried baby potatoes impeccably, and makes for the perfect accompaniment for your breads or rice. Try the Kashmiri-style Dum Aloo recipe today, and we promise your family will be left smacking their lips!
Watch The Full Recipe Video Of Kashmiri-Style Dum Aloo Here:
(Also Read: Quick And Easy Method To Make Baby Potato Masala)
- 8-10 baby potatoes
- 2 tbsp mustard oil
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chili
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 tsp fennel powder
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves
- 2 cups water
- Salt to taste
- Boil baby potatoes with a skewer make small holes in the boiled potatoes.
- In a pan, add oil and let it heat.
- Fry boiled baby potatoes for 10-15 minutes until crisp from the outside
- In another pan, add mustard oil along with black cardamom, cinnamon sticks and bay leaves.
- Add some Kashmiri chili powder and some water to the paste.
- Add the fried potatoes in the gravy, mix it all well.
- Add salt to taste and some water to the gravy.
- Add ginger powder, garam masala, cumin powder, fennel powder and fenugreek leaves into the gravy.
- Mix it well and cook until the gravy is thick.
- Serve hot.
- Get your baby potatoes which are firm and tender. Potatoes with discoloration on skin should be omitted.
About Aditi AhujaAditi loves talking to and meeting like-minded foodies (especially the kind who like veg momos). Plus points if you get her bad jokes and sitcom references, or if you recommend a new place to eat at.