If you’re in the mood for a game day recipe, but don’t feel like making a big fuss, then you need to make this buffalo chicken meatloaf.
If you peek in your fridge, find ground turkey or chicken and/or just so happen to be craving something spicy and comforting, then you need to make this buffalo chicken meatloaf.
One more reason? It’s freaking DELICIOUS, moist, infused with buffalo sauce and then slathered with even more on top. It’s spicy, savory and best of all, stuffed with cheddar cheese. Serve with a side of mashed potatoes, a kale sweet potato salad or even a crunchy chopped ranch salad for a full meal!
What you’ll need to make buffalo chicken meatloaf
You’ll be thrilled to hear that this easy buffalo chicken meatloaf recipe requires super simple ingredients but the result is SO flavorful and delicious. Here’s everything you need:
- Ground chicken: I prefer a lean ground chicken but you can also use lean ground turkey in this recipe!
- Egg: you’ll just need one egg in the meatloaf.
- Buffalo sauce: pick your favorite buffalo sauce! Add a kick of heat with a spicy version or go mild.
- Breadcrumbs: using panko breadcrumbs will help hold the meatloaf together. Feel free to use gluten free breadcrumbs if you’d like.
- Onion & garlic: for a little boost of flavor in every bite.
- Salt & pepper: always season your meats!
- Cheddar cheese: this amazing buffalo chicken meatloaf is baked with sharp cheddar cheese right in the middle. So good. If you’re not into cheddar feel free to use whatever cheese you’d like though!
- Garnishes & sauces: I like to top the meatloaf with some fresh cilantro or green onion, and then serve with some ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping.
Spicy lovers, this is for you
Looking for a little extra kick? Here are some great ways to make this healthy buffalo chicken meatloaf extra spicy:
- Choose a spicy buffalo sauce for the mixture and the top.
- Instead of sharp cheddar cheese try a pepper jack or a spicy cheddar! I’ve had a habanero cheddar that I love.
- Add some diced jalapeño directly to the meat mixture.
How to make buffalo chicken meatloaf from scratch
The best thing about making homemade meatloaf? It’s incredibly easy and quick to prep:
- Make the meat mixture. In a large bowl you’ll simply add all of your ingredients and mix them with a large spoon or clean hands. Reserve some of the buffalo sauce for glazing!
- Shape it. Add half of the meat mixture to your prepared baking sheet and shape it into about a 9×5 inch rectangle. It doesn’t have to be perfect.
- Cheese it. Add your cheese directly to the meat mixture and shape the other half of the meat on top – sealing the cheese inside.
- Glaze it. Brush more buffalo sauce onto the unbaked meatloaf and save the other half for glazing when it’s done. Do NOT double dip here!
- Bake it. Bake your buffalo chicken meatloaf for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, top with remaining sauce and serve!
How do you know when meatloaf is done?
Your buffalo chicken meatloaf will be done when the meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F.
What to serve with buffalo chicken meatloaf
Okay, the opportunities are endless for serving up this delicious, cheesy goodness! Here’s what I can suggest:
- Freeze unbaked meatloaf: simply shape the buffalo chicken meatloaf, wrap it well with plastic wrap and a layer of tin foil and place it in the freezer for up to 3 months. To cook from frozen, let the meatloaf thaw in the refrigerator before baking as directed.
- Freeze baked meatloaf: bake as directed and let the meatloaf cool completely. Then wrap it well and freeze it for up to 3 months. To reheat it simply let it thaw in the refrigerator, remove the wrapping and then bake as directed until heated through.
More dinner recipes you’ll love
Get all of my dinner recipes here!
I hope you love this amazing cheddar-stuffed buffalo chicken meatloaf recipe! If you make it be sure to leave a comment & a rating so I know how you liked it. Enjoy, xo!
Cheddar-Stuffed Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf
Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes
Incredible cheddar-stuffed buffalo chicken meatloaf made with simple ingredients and a kick from your favorite buffalo sauce. This protein-packed, low carb buffalo chicken meatloaf recipe is easy to make and perfect for pairing with your favorite salads or side dishes. A new family favorite!
lean ground chicken (or sub turkey)
your favorite buffalo sauce
panko breadcrumbs (or sub gluten free breadcrumbs)
white onion, very finely diced
- Freshly ground black pepper
sharp cheddar cheese (or about ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese)
- For topping:
buffalo sauce, divided
- To garnish:
- Diced green onion (green part only) or fresh chopped cilantro
- For serving:
- Ranch or blue cheese dressing
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl combine chicken, egg, buffalo sauce, panko breadcrumbs, garlic, diced white onion, salt and pepper. Use your hands or a large spoon to mix until well combined. Personally, I find that it’s much easier to combine the ingredients if you use your hands.
Place half of the meat mixture on the prepared baking sheet and shape into a 9×5 inch rectangle. Place cheddar evenly in the middle, leaving about an 1/2 inch of room on the sides. Top with the remaining meat mixture, enclosing the cheese completely and sealing the sides/edges together. You should get a nice oval shape.
Spread half of the buffalo sauce on top of the meatloaf (1/4 cup), reserve the other half for brushing on when the meatloaf is finished baking. Remember not to double dip here!
Bake meatloaf for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F. Top with remaining sauce and allow to cool for 5 minutes before cutting into 4 slices. Top with diced green onion and serve with your favorite ranch or blue cheese dressing!
Freeze unbaked meatloaf: simply shape the buffalo chicken meatloaf, wrap it will with plastic wrap and a layer of tinfoil and place it in the freezer for up to 3 months. To cook from frozen, let the meatloaf thaw in the refrigerator before baking as directed.
Freeze baked meatloaf: bake as directed and let the meatloaf cool completely. Then wrap it well and freeze it for up to 3 months. To reheat it simply let it thaw in the refrigerator, remove the wrapping and then bake as directed until heated through.
Servings: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 serving (based on 4)
Saturated fat: 7.3g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats