This copycat Chipotle sofritas recipe is packed with flavour and the perfect meat-free protein option for making homemade burrito bowls.
For the Tofu Sofritas
- 1 (454g) 16 oz pacakge extra-firm tofu
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 poblano pepper (122 g)
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered (115 g)
- 1 chipotle pepper, from a can
- 1–2 tbsp adobo sauce from the can of peppers, depending on spice level desired
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (40 g)
- 1 tbsp tamari (15 mL)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ a lime, juiced
For the Bowls
- cilantro lime rice
- shredded romaine lettuce
- avocado or guacamole
- sautéed peppers and onions
- salsa and/or sour cream
- fresh cilantro
- black beans
- Press the Tofu: Use a tofu press or wrap the tofu in a dish cloth or paper towels and place it on a plate or cutting board and weigh down with a heavy object for at least 20 minutes. Break tofu into 1-inch pieces.
- Preheat Oven: Preheat the oven to broil (500 F) and set a rack in the oven in the middle.
- Char Poblano & Onion: On foil-lined baking sheet, add the poblano pepper and onion chunks. Rub a little oil over the surface or use an oil mister to lightly coat them in oil. Broil for 12-15 min, until blistered and softened. When cool enough to handle, cut the poblano in half and remove the stems and seeds.
- Cook Rice (Optional): If you’d like rice for serving, begin cooking that now. In a medium pot, add the rice and water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 12-15 min, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. Remove the pot from the heat and set aside, still covered for 5 min. To the pot add lime zest, lime juice, salt and cilantro and stir to combine.
- Cook Tofu: Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. When the oil is hot, add the tofu pieces. Cook for 5-7 min. After 4-5 minutes, start breaking the tofu up into smaller pieces and continue cooking until golden on all sides.
- Blend Sofritos Sauce: In a food processor or blender, add the grilled onion and poblano, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, garlic, tamari, spices, salt, sugar and water. Process until smooth.
- Add Sauce to Tofu: Transfer the sofritas sauce to the pan with the tofu. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add 2-3 tablespoons of water to make it saucier. Cook for 8-10 min, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced. Stir in the lime juice, then season with salt to taste.
- Serve: Divide the cooked rice between bowls, top with tofu sofritas and any other desired toppings.
The sofritas sauce can be prepared 1-2 days ahead and stored in the fridge.
If serving with sautéed peppers and onions, thinly slice a 1 small white onion and 2 bell peppers and cook them in a separate pan while the tofu is cooking until softened.
Cilantro Lime Rice: Cook 1-2 cups rice according to pacakage instructions or use an Instant Pot or rice cooker. once cooked, add 2 tbsp lime juice, 1 tbsp lime zest, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro. Cook 1 cup rice for 1/2 cup cooked rice per bowl or 2 cups rice for 1 cup cooked rice per bowl.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of sofritas
- Calories: 188
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 576 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 14 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 12 g
Keywords: chipotle tofu sofritas, chipotle sofritas